Large format printing is printing done on a very large scale. It’s usually used for printing projects such as posters, billboards, and graphics for cars, buses, and other forms of transportation. It offers several helpful benefits. However, there are some drawbacks as well, so it’s important to know whether it’d be a good investment for your business. If large format printing sounds interesting but you’re not sure whether or not you should take advantage of it, take a look at these pros and cons below can help you decide.
Pros of Large Format Printing
- It’s Great for Advertising. Large format printing is usually used to create billboards, banners, posters, and other forms of advertising mediums. If you’re looking to draw attention to an event, a business, or anything else, this is probably exactly what you need. The products that large format printing offers has the capability to create are designed to draw attention, making it an effective medium for high impact advertising.
- Built to Last. Oftentimes the products of large format printing need to be placed outside, or used for long periods of time. This method of printing can be used to make banners that might be put on display for weeks, or even months. It can also be used in the production of billboards and transit graphics, which must be able to withstand the elements and last through all kinds of weather without fading. If you need to print something that can take the abuse of outside use, this is the way to go.
- It’s Relatively Fast. In many cases, large format printing and digital printing use similar production processes, which means that it can sometimes offer the same speed that digital printing does. With large format printing, you can have your banners, posters, or other advertisements printed off on a tight schedule.
- It Creates Less Waste. If you choose to use traditional offset printing, you may not have the choice to print on demand. Traditional offset printing often requires printing to be done in bulk, which can leave you with a lot of surplus that just winds up in the trash afterwards. Large format printing allows you to print on demand so you only get what you need, and you don’t have to worry about extras going to waste.
Cons of Large Format Printing
- It Might Not Be What You Need. Large format printing is designed specifically for larger pieces. If you’re not looking to print off banners or adverts for the sides of buses, large format printing isn’t what you need. Large format printing caters to a pretty specific purpose, so don’t waste your time considering it if you’re not in need of the exact products it offers, as there’s not a whole lot of flexibility in its use.
- It Can Be Difficult to Get Right. Large format printing offers a wide variety of mediums, but each one requires the exact right kind of ink to turn out correctly. Your options for inks include acid dyes, pigmented textile inks, dye sublimation inks, UV-curable textile inks, reactive dye inks, and disperse dyes. Not every kind of ink will work with every kind of material. If the wrong materials get mixed up, your project will probably turn out wrong costing you a lot of money.
Looking for Large Format Printing Services in NYC?
Absolut Color is a local midtown Manhattan personal & commercial printing company. We have the capabilities, talent, and experience to service any size project. We will provide you with invaluable poster printing & other printing services as well as save you time, money, and frustration in dealing with your printing needs.
For more information, call us at 212.868.0404 or visit our website: