Offset printing differs pretty greatly from direct printing methods most of people are familiar with. Direct printing takes the image or text directly from the computer or electronic source to the printer. In offset printing, the computer makes the image on a plate and then that plate is used to print onto multiple pieces of paper. Here are some pros and cons:
Pros of Offset Printing
Offset printing is great for high-volume printing such as with magazines, books, newspapers, brochures, and stationery. While it does add some steps in the process, for massive orders, it makes financial sense for several reasons:
- The ink, which fades and then runs out in direct printing methods, is actually controllable with offset printing. The operator can twist some screw keys to adjust the amount of ink flow on the fountain roller. This minimizes the creation of wasted prints with insufficient contrast. The printing plates themselves are easy and fast to make with today’s technology. And the plates each have the potential to run a million impressions or more.
- It costs less to produce high quality printing when it is done with offset printing methods. Also, the image quality is consistently good because the rubber blanket on the printing plate fits itself to the texture of the printing surface. This leaves a clean and detailed image every time.
Cons of Offset Printing
- There is a tediousness and cost associated with the production of the printing plates and setup.
- The printing quality, while high, is not quite as good as photogravure or rotogravure printing.
- The printing plates are made of anodized aluminum, making them vulnerable to chemical oxidation, so they need some extra care and maintenance.
All in all, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages when it comes to offset printing, at least when it comes to high-volume printing jobs.
Absolut Color is an NYC printing company. This NYC printer has the capabilities, talent, and experience to service any size project. We will provide you with NCR forms, brochures, business cards, flyers, and much more while saving you time, money, and frustration in dealing with your printing needs. We also offer great features such as UV coating.
For more information, call us at 212.868.0404 or visit our website: