When you need something to be printed, you want to get the best service possible. With so many print shops out there in the Manhattan area, how is one supposed to go about choosing? To help you choose a print shop, here are a handful of common mistakes that people make when it comes to printing.
Common Mistakes People Make When Choosing a Print Shop
- Picking a Print Shop based only on price. The old saying is true. “You get what you pay for.” This is especially true in the printing business. If you want good printing, you should decide to deal with a print shop because of the overall value you receive, not because they are the cheapest.
- You think all print shops are the same. Every printer is different. No two print shops are ever the same. Each one has different equipment and different employees who know how to do certain kinds of jobs well. Every company has a different number of employees, each with different abilities, and different lead times to complete your work.
- You always have three or more Manhattan print shops competing with each other for your work. You may think this is a good way to do business. And sometimes it is. But here is why it usually isn’t a good way to deal with printers. A good print shop has enough loyal customers that they don’t have to deal with price shoppers. Once you find a good printer, you must be loyal to them. If you flip-flop from printer to printer, a good print shop won’t be too motivated to keep you as a customer.
- You think having the right equipment is all a printer needs to print your job. Many printers own great equipment, but that doesn’t mean they know how to run it. You can have the most advanced, top of the line equipment, but if you don’t know how to operate it properly, you are better off not even turning the thing on.
- You don’t give your print shop enough time to print your job properly. Mistakes happen when things are rushed. When you’re in a hurry, you may forget to tell your printer certain instructions. Or you might make a mistake on your original artwork because you were concentrating on getting it done, instead of getting it done right.
- You pick print shops that don’t guarantee their work. All reputable printers guarantee their work automatically. This means if they make a mistake on your printing, they will re-run your job at no charge. Unfortunately, there are unethical print shops who won’t do this. Instead, they won’t make good on your printing and may not take any responsibility for their mistakes. An unethical printer may hold your artwork hostage. Or may say they will fix your printing, but pin the problem on you and tack on an extra charge. There are a bunch of other things a frowned upon print shop may do to you.
- You don’t ask for references. This is probably the easiest way you can avoid any problems with a print shop. All good, reputable print shops will eagerly give you references. Ask your printer to give you at least three names of people they have done business with. Ask them how long they have worked with this customer and what type of printing they normally do for them. Get names of customers who print things similar to what you need to print.
Absolut Color is a local midtown Manhattan print shop. We have the capabilities, talent, and experience to service any size project. We will provide you with invaluable business card printing services as well as save you time, money, and frustration in dealing with your printing needs.
For more information, call us at 212.868.0404 or visit our website: